ABOUT GANI FAWEHINMI STUDENTS' CHAMBERS
The Gani Fawehinmi Students’ Chambers, University of Lagos, Nigeria, is a registered student body named after the late globally renowned legal luminary, Chief Ganiyu Oyesola Fawehinmi (SAM, SAN), who lived between 1938 and 2009. He also doubles as our life patron. We build a crop of young, brilliant, hardworking and proficient law students who in turn render value to the society. Our programmes and activities are aimed at sharpening the advocacy and lawyering skills of our members, placing particular attention on the Gani brand. We organise human rights campaigns, political discourse, aplomb enforcement and other crusades that are germane to the dispensation of justice and is crucial to nation building. We create awareness with our programmes because we believe that only enlightened societies thrive.
We organise three major programmes annually:
- The Hon Justice Bode Rhodes-Vivour Moot and Mock Trial Competition: Chambers were set up by the Faculty of Law, University of Lagos to simulate the practicality of law through regular trainings on brief writing, moot and mock trial competition. This competition seeks to showcase and reward the advocacy skills of students of the faculty of law, University of Lagos.
- The Anti-Corruption and Human Rights Symposium: Corollary to the ideology of Chief Gani Fawehinmi, the symposium is aimed at addressing and proffering solutions to pertinent human rights and anti-corruption issues bedevilling the nation.
- The Colloquium: The colloquium addresses and profers solution to national issues through a convergence of students and lawyers who have carved a niche for themselves in the legal profession
We also avail our members the following:
- Internship Schemes: Students are attached to high cadre law firms around Lagos, where they get exposed to the practicality and functionality of law and also get an opportunity to improve their resume.
- 2. A Library Facility: We boast of a conducive library facility with up to date law reports and journals to meet the teeming research needs of our members.
- The School of Advocacy: This is a scheme where seasoned lawyers are invited by the chamber to train its members in requisite advocacy skills as; brief writing, moot, mock trials, client counselling etc.
- The Agora: The Agora is our weekly meeting; it is also called the General Assembly. The Agora avails every advocate the opportunity to air their views on current political and legal issues.
The Gani Fawehinmi Students’ Chamber was named the Best Student Association in the Faculty of Law, University of Lagos in 2012, 2014 and 206 respectively.